Sunday 27 April 2014

Inspirational quotes (today is one of 'those' days...)

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Ok, this is a very different post. I don't feel like writing anything but moaning about life and everything... I guess it might be my "time of the month"... and I don't think this grey, cold Sunday morning is helping a bit.

I'm a teacher, right? An English teacher and Portuguese teacher and even adventured myself teaching Academic Skills and soon will be teaching a Foundation Course (for foreign students who come to the UK to go to uni). Do I like teaching? Yes, I LOVE teaching, although I prefer to teach IN English to people who already know it, rather than English, if you know what I mean.

Tomorrow I'm going to this placement in a school. My first one as a "real Secondary English teacher". Wow! It's a very good school too, and although I'm a bit aprehensive (first day at a new job, anyone?), I can't wait. This is something I've wanted for such a long time, to be able to teach at a secondary school in the UK.

So, what's the problem, you  must be asking yourselves. Well, it's a loooong story. This placement is initially for a week and if they think I'm good enough (I know, not much pressure, right?) it can be extended till July. Great, you may be thinking. And then I ask you: yeah, great, but what happens next? I don't know. I have a job to start in June (which is not guaranteed to continue after the summer), I have a private student who will finish in October... and I've applied for a couple of  non-teaching jobs. This is killing me.... I NEED a job that is NOT temporary!!!!!

What to do with so many options??? Do I stay with the secondary school if they offer me to continue? Or do I carry on with private lessons and take the June job, or even, (wishful thinking here) hope to be invited for another interview and then I'll have one more thing to choose from???

Aaaaahhhhh.... my mind is just racing, I can't focus on basically anything else, I keep thinking of what I REALLY want to do with my life... what job I really want to do... and it all goes back to........... WRITING. Oh, well, writing (at least now) won't pay my mortgage or put food on the table, so I MUST make a decision. (Selling coconuts at a paradisiac beach in a Caribbean island would be great!)

Please, let me know your thoughts. I could do with some "unknown people"'s wisdom... :)
Before I leave, to the ones that have too many thoughts about decisions like me, here are some funny/serious inspirational/motivational quotes....

Take care,
Dani.

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

Daniela Pesconi-Arthur

4 comments:

  1. all d best for it ^_^

    http://jrnywithprabhu.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dani, I love your blog theme, Good luck with your placement. I always find it quite daunting starting somewhere new, but I'm sure it will go well!
    http://sophiebowns.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani this is a dilemma of most people with creative interests.Selling coconuts at the paradisical Carrebian beach sounds so tempting! Just hang in there with a cool mind and you shall find your own answers.All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, more and more, jobs are temporary - and, at least in the short term, you may have to continue to roll with that fact. It would drive me crazy, too, but these temporary positions may enable you to discover something you really want to pursue. You can have a job that has nothing to do with writing and pursue your dreams in your down time. What down time? Well, I think of the American author Danielle Steele, who became a best selling author while raising nine children. I think you can do it-I see the talent there. Best of luck! Alana

    ReplyDelete